Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Childhood

It was kind of nice being a kid. When you're a kid, you don't question things. Not really, anyway. Someone tells you about the Tooth Fairy or Santa and you just believe them. Same with God. I was baptized as a baby, taught about God, attended a Catholic school, did my First Communion...all without questioning what it was I was believing in.

The stories were nice - my favorite was always Noah's Ark. I liked hearing about Jesus and how he was born in the stable and his life, and I accepted it all as fact. Even after figuring out that the Tooth Fairy and Santa weren't real, I kept on believing in the religion I was being taught.

I liked believing. I liked thinking that everyone went to Heaven if they were good. My Granddad died when I was 6. I remember my mum telling me that "Granddad went to live with Jesus." I didn't really know what death was, but I knew Heaven was far away and that meant I wouldn't see my Granddad anymore. While I was sad, I knew he was in Heaven and that I would see him again.

I wish I still had that faith. Not necessarily blind faith, but faith of some sort.

"Ultimately, blind faith is the only kind" Mason Cooley

No comments:

Post a Comment